Founded in 1871 by General William Palmer, Colorado Springs is nestled at the base of Pikes Peak. Situated at an altitude of 6,035 feet, the community thrives on tremendous natural beauty, 13,000 acres of parks, many public and private golf courses, dozens of shopping centers, four major hospitals, and 17 colleges and universities.
Population in the area tops 600,000 with manufacturing, high technology, tourism, sports, nonprofits, and space/defense ranking as key industries within the economy.
Colorado’s Front Range is a unique military community — hosting numerous distinct and complementary military missions and headquarters on six installations:
- United States Northern Command
- North American Aerospace Defense Command
- Cheyenne Mountain Directorate
- Air Force Space Command
- U.S. Army Space and Missile Defense Command/Army Forces Strategic Command
- Buckley Air Force Base
- Fort Carson
- Peterson Air Force Base
- Schriever Air Force Base
- United States Air Force Academy
For articles pertaining to Colorado and Colorado Springs, click here.